Granular Mechanics Laboratory
Department of Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore 560012, India
E-mail: tejas at civil.iisc.ernet.in
PhD - Civil Engineering 2006, Purdue University
Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Science, 2016 - present
Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Science, 2010- 2016
Research Assistant Professor, Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems, 2009-2010
Postdoctoral Scholar, Center for Materials Processing and Tribology, 2007-2008
Basic Geomechanics in the fall semester
Introduction to the Theory of Plasticity (jointly with N. Sundaram) in the spring semester
Mechanics of Granular Materials (jointly with P.R. Nott) in the spring semester
Experimental solid mechanics, Plasticity theory, Soil mechanics, Image based deformation measurements, Slow flow of granular materials.
Dr. Ramesh K Kandasami PhD ( March 2016)
Shravan Kumar (jointly advised with Professor M Allam)
- Wang Z, Basu S, Murthy T G and Saldana C (2016) Modified cavity expansion formulatin for circular indentation and experimental validation, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 97-98, 129-136.
- Yadav S, Saldana C and Murthy T G (2016) Porosity and geometry control ductile to brittle deformation in indentation of porous solids, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 88-89, 11-16.
- Kandasami R K, Borges R M and Murthy T G (2016) Effect of biocementation on the strength and stability of termite mounds, Environmental Geotechnics, 3 (2), 99-113.
- Vishwanathan K, Mahato A, Murthy T G, Koziara T and Chandrasekar S (2015) Kinematic flow patterns in slow deformation of a dense granular material, Granular Matter,17 (5), 553-565.
- Yadav S, Saldana C and Murthy T G (2015) Deformation field evolution in indentation of a porous brittle solid, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 66, 35-45.
- Kandasami R K and Murthy T G (2015) Experimental studies on the influence of intermediate principal stress and inclination on the mechanical behaviour of angular sands, Granular Matter, 17, 217-230.
- Bhargav S D, Kandasami R K, Murthy T G and Ananthasuresh K (2015) Design of a portable compliant device for estimating the failure-load of mesoscale cemented sand specimens, Journal of Mechanical Design, 137, 065001-1.
- Kandasami R K and Murthy T G (2014) Effect of intermediate principal stress on the mechanical behaviour of angular sand”, Soil Behavior and Geomechanics - ASCE GSP 236, 406-415.
- Huang C-Y, Murthy T G and Chandrasekar S (2014) Simultaneous measurements of thickness and temperature profile of the lubricant film at chip-tool interface during machining process using luminescent sensors, Proceedia Engineering, 79, 9-16.
- Murthy T G, Madariaga J, and Huang C-Y (2014) Luminescent molecular sensors for assessment of temperature fields in machining, Tribology Letters, 54,129-137.
- Murthy T G, Saldana C, Hudspeth M, and M'Saoubi R, (2014) Deformation field heterogeneity in punch indentation, Proceedings of the Royal Society A : Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 470, 20130807.
- Du F, Yadav S, Moreno C, Murthy T G and Saldana C (2014) Incipient straining in severe plastic deformation methods, Journal of Materials Research, 29, 5, 718- 728.
- Gourvenec S M, Vulpe C, and Murthy T G (2014) A method for predicting the consolidated undrained bearing capacity of shallow foundations, Geotechnique, 64, 3, 215-225.
- Mahato A, Guo Y, Sundaram N., Murthy T G, Saldana C, and Chandrasekar S (2013) Unconstrained plastic flow at surfaces in sliding and cutting, International Journal of Precision Technology, 3,4,370-387.
- Murthy T G, Gnanamanickam E, and Chandrasekar S (2012) Deformation field in indentation of a granular ensemble, Physical Review E, 85, 061306.
- Sundaram N, Guo Y, Murthy T G, Saldana C, Chandrasekar S (2012) Rotation field in wedge indentation of metals", Journal of Materials Research, 27,1.
- Brown T L, Saldana C, Murthy T G, Mann J B, Guo Y, Allard L F, King A H, Compton D, and Chandrasekar S (2009) A study of the interactive effects of strain, strain rate and temperature in severe plastic deformation of copper, Acta Materialia, 57, 5491-5500.
- Saldana C, Murthy T G, Shankar M R, Stach E A, and Chandrasekar S (2009) “Stabilizing Nanostructured Materials by Coherent Nano-Twins and their Grain-Boundary Triple Junction Drag”, Applied Physics Letters, 94, 021910.
- Calistes R, Swaminathan S, Murthy T G, Shankar M R, and Chandrasekar S (2009) Controlling gradation of surface strains and nanostructuring by large strain machining, Scripta Materialia, 60,1,17-20.
- Huang C, Murthy T G, Shankar M R, Saoubi R M and Chandrasekar S (2008) Temperature rise in SPD of titanium at small strain rates, Scripta Materialia, 58,8, 663-666.
- Murthy T G, Huang C, Shankar M R, Chandrasekar S and Sullivan J P (2008) Temperature fields in severe plastic deformation at small strain rates, Materials Science Forum, 584-586, 231-236.
- Murthy T G, Madariaga J and Chandrasekar S (2009) Direct mapping of deformation in punch indentation and correlation with slip line fields, Journal of Materials Research, 24, 3, 722-729.
- Murthy T G, Huang C and Chandrasekar S (2008) Characterization of deformation fields in plane strain indentation of metals, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 41, 074026.
- Murthy T G, Loukidis D, Carraro J A H, Prezzi M and Salgado R (2008) Undrained monotonic response of clean and silty sands, Geotechnique, 58,6, 536-538.
- Murthy T G, Loukidis D, Carraro J A H, Prezzi M and Salgado R (2007) Undrained monotonic response of clean and silty sands, Geotechnique, 57,3, 273-288.
Kandasami, R K, and Murthy, T G. (2014) Effect of particle shape on the mechanical response of a granular ensemble, Geomechanics from Micro to Macro, IS-Cambridge, 1093-1098.
Yadav, S, Singh, S, Kandasami, R. K, Saldana, C., and Murthy, T. G. (2014). Experimental studies on the cutting of granular materials, Geomechanics from Micro to Macro,IS-Cambridge, 1209-1212.
Murthy T G and Saldana C (2013) Evolution of deformation fields in ploughing of sand, 5th iYGEC 2013, International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering,Paris, 439-443.
Murthy T G (2014) Evolution of deformation fields in 1-g model tests of footings on sands, 8th International Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics, 1, Perth, 653-657.
Kandasami R. K, and Murthy T.G. (2013), Experimental studies on the mechanics of cohesive frictional granular media", American Institute of Physics Vol.1542, 987-990.
Murthy T.G., Saldana S.,Yadav S, and Du F (2013) Experimental studies on the kinematics of cutting in granular materials", American Institute of Physics Vol.1542,919-922.
Du F, Yadav S, Murthy T.G and Saldana S. (2013), Evolution of deformation fields in large strain plastic flow”, International symposium on plasticity-2013, Nassau, Bahamas.
Murthy T. G. and Wang D., (2011) Penetration of shallow footing in sand using image analysis and large deformation finite element analysis Proceedings of the 20 Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, China, ISBN 978-1-880653-77-7, pg. 559.
Murthy T. G., Prezzi M., Salgado R and Loukidis D., (2010) Undrained response of clean and silty sands Fifth International conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics, USA, Paper no. 1.15b.
Aakash B S (currently graduate student, The Johns Hopkins University, USA)
Saurabh Singh (currently PhD student, IISc)
Sulaiman Dawood (currently engineer at CTL Engineering Inc, USA)
Sriram Valavala (currently engineer at Parsons Brinkerhoff, USA)
Christopher Saldana, Georgia Institute of Technology