PROF. A SRIDHARAN
(Formerly Deputy Director & Advisor, IISc;
Honorary Professor and INSA Senior Scientist
Department of Civil Engineering;)
Indian Institute of Science
1. NAME : Asuri Sridharan
3. DESIGNATION ADDRESS Formerly Professor of Civil engineering,
Deputy Director, Adviser & INSA Senior Scientist
FOR COMMUNICATION Indian Institute of Scioence
( Between 13th and 14th cross )
PHONE : 0091 80 23341046,
e-mail : : <asridhran.yahoo.com>
4. ACADEMIC AND TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS : (Degree onwards)
Examination Univ./Institution Class obtained Year of degree
B.E.(Civil) Sri Venkateswara I Class (Hons.) 1959
M.E. (Soil Indian Institute Distinction 1960
Mech.& Foundn. of Science
D.Sc. Indian Institute By Research 1992
5. MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
Hon.Fellow, Indian Geotechnical Society
6. POSTS HELD (at the Indian Institute of Science)
Month &Year Designation
Dec 1982 July 1997 Professor Dept. of Civil Engineering
Mar 1984 Apr 1987 Chairman, Dept. of Civil Engineering
May 1987 Apr.1994 Chairman, Mechanical Sciences Division
Apr 1991 Apr 1994 KSIIDC Professor, Dept. of Civil Engineering
Aug 1994 July 1997 Deputy Director
Aug 1997 onwards Honorary Professor, Dept. of Civil Engineering
Aug 1997 March 2000 Advisor
Dec 2000 Nov 2005 INSA Senior Scientist
SERVICE OUTSIDE THE INSTITUTE
June 1967 David Ross Fellow,
Jan. 1977 Visiting Professor,
July 1977 Visiting Professor,
April 2000 Nov 2000 Visiting Professor SAGA University
Sept 2003 Honorary Chairman, South Western Region,
May 2005 Hon Res Supervisor,
Oct 2005 Visiting Professor,Bauhaus University,
7.0 AWARDS AND HONOURS
** 2006 The
Distinguished Alumni Award, Indian Institute of
** 2005 Key
Note Speaker, “On Swelling Behavior
of Clays” International Conference on Problematic Soils, Eastern
** 2004 Eminent Academician, Honoured by Karnataka Geotechnical Centre of the Indian Geotechnical Society for significant contributions in the field of Civil Engineering.
** 2004 Eminent Academician, Honoured by Torsteel Research
** 2003 Key note Speaker, “ Volume Change Behaviour of Fine Greained Soils “ ISSMGE, International Conference from Experimental Evidence towards Numerical Modelling of
Unsaturated Soils, Bauhaus
** 2002 ACCE Gourav Award for Significant
Contributions to Civil Engineering Consultancy awarded by Association of
Consulting Civil Engineers
** 2001 Key note speaker, “Some recent trends
in environmental Geotechnics” Proceeding of
the International Synposium on Geotechnical & Environmental
** 2001 Key note speaker, "Engineering
Behaviour of clays: Influence of Mineralogy; Chemo-Mechanical coupling in Clays;
From Nano-Scale to Engineering Applications;
** 2000 Invited Speaker "Physico-Chemical and engineering behaviour of Ariake clay and its comparison with other marine clays" International Symposium on coastal Geotechnical Engg. in Practice: IS-Yokohama 2000
** 1999 Honorary Fellow, Indian Geotechncial Society.
Key note speaker "Engineering
behaviour of marine clays" Intl., Conf., on Offshore and Near shore Geotechnical engineering,
Key note Speaker, "Volume
change behaviour of expansive soils", Intl. Conf., on problematic soils, IS- TOHOKU’98,
** 1997 - 2002, Honorary Professor, Indian Institute of Science.
** 1997 Invited to deliver Prof. B K Ramiah Memorial Lecture, Indian Geotechnical Society, Bangalore Chapter.
Kurma Rao Memorial Lecture,
** 1996 - 1998, President, Indian Geotechnical Society.
** 1996 Piyush Parikh Memorial Lecture, Indian
** 1996 Dr. B Govinda Reddy Nagarathnam Endowment
Presented Momento for "Significant contribution towards promotion
and development of Geosynthetics in
** 1995 Distinguished Engineering Alumnus Award of the Purdue University for his outstanding and continued contributions to graduate research and education in civil
1994 Prof. S R Mehra Memorial Award,
** 1994 IGS - Kuckalmann Award for Excellence in Geotechnical Engineering.
1994 - 2000 Honorary Professor,
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR),
** 1993 Central Board of Irrigation & Power, Govt. of India, Diamond Jubilee award (Highest award of CB I&P, cash award and a citation).
** 1993 Indian Institute of Science, Alumni Award for Excellence in Research in Engineering (cash award and a certificate).
** 1992 D.Sc degree of Indian Institute of Science for research contributions (in the field of Geotechnical Engineering).
** 1991 KSIIDC Professor 1991-1994 (The Chair has been Instituted by the Karnataka State Industrial Investment Development Corporation).
1991 Fellow of
1990 Khosla National Award of
award and a citation given once in three years).
** 1990 Delievered the ANNUAL LECTURE of the Indian Geotechnical Society (Highest recognition by the Society for the Research contribution).
1988 General Reporter for the
Session on Engineering Properties of Tropical Soils - Int. Conf. on Tropical Soils,
** 1988 Key note Address, Annual session of Clay Mineral Society of India.
** 1985 Key note Address, Annual Session of Clay Mineral Society of India.
** 1975-77 von Humboldt Senior Fellow & Guest Professor, University Karlsruhe, W.Germany.
BEST PAPER AWARDS
* "Foundation Response to Horizontal Vibrations" Best Paper in Soil Dynamics & Vibration Problems in Foundation Engineering for the year 1983, awarded by the Indian Geotechnical Society.
* "Dynamic Shear Modulus of Soils" Best Paper published in National/International/ Symposium for the year 1985, awarded by the Indian Geotechnical Society.
* "Stress Path Effects on Hyperbolic Stress-strain Response on Sand" Best Paper published in the Indian Geotechnical Journal for the year 1987, awarded by the Indian Geotechnical Society.
* "Physical properties of Cochin Marine Clays" Best Paper on special Studies in the area of Marine Geotechnical Engineering, for the year 1988 awarded by the Indian Geotechnical Society.
* "Soil Reinforcement for Soft and Expansive Soils" Certificate of Merit, awarded by the Central Board of Irrigation and Power 1989.
* "Geotechnical Proalems Associated with Construction of Highways Over Soft Marine Deposits", Best Paper for the Year 1991 Awarded by Indian Geotechnical Society.
* "Foundation Response to Rocking Vibrations", Best Paper Award on "Soil Dynamics" published in the Indian Geotechnical Journal, for the year 1992, awarded by Indian Geotechnical Society.
* "Determination of size of footings", Best Paper Award - 1993 - by the Indian Geotechnical Society.
* "Mechanisms controlling the index properties lime treated black cotton soil in the presence of sulphate", Best paper Award - 1995 - Indian Geotechnical Society.
* “Analysis and design of machine foundations at resenance” Best paper Award 2001 - Indian Geotechnical Society.
8.1 RESEARCH AREAS
1. Physico-Chemical Mechanisms controlling Engineering Behaviour of fine grained soils.
2. Marine clays
3. Enviormental Geotechnique
4. Reinforced Soil Structures
5. Machine Foundations
6. Flyash Engineering
8.2 THESES GUIDED
(i) Ph.D Theses guided at IISc 24
Ph.D Theses guided outside IISc 8
(ii) M.Sc (Engg.) Theses guided 4
(iii) M.E Dissertation guided 52
8.3 Technical Papers Published
a) Intenational Journals: 141
b) National Journals: 44
c) Intenational Conferences: 67
d) National Conferences: 80
e) Others: 10
Distribution of papers in various Journals and Conferences (List of papers appended vide annexure I)
Refereed International Journals
Geotechnique (Intl. Jl. on SM & FE), Institution of
Engineering Jl. Proc. Insitution of Civil Engineers,
of the Geotechnical Engg. Div. American Society of Civil Engineers
Geotechnical Journal (
Testing Journal, ASTM (
of Testing and Evaluation, ASTM (
ASTM Spl. Technical publication.
and Foundations (Jl. of Japanese Society of SM & FE,
of Clays and Clay Minerals
of Geotextiles and Geomembranes,
Engineering (Jl. of the South East Asian
Society of Soil Engg.
Jl. Of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering (Springer ).)
of Concrete Research (
Jl. Of International Association of Low land Technology.
Jl. of Soil Research
Refereed National Journals
Journal of the Indian Geotechnical Society
Jl. of Institution of Engineers
Jl. of Indian Institute of Science
Jl. of Irrigation and Power
Clay Research (Jl. of Clay Mineral Society)
Jl. of Earthquake Engineering
Indian Concrete Journal
Civil Engineering and Construction Review
International Conferences (Refereed)
National Conferences (Refereed)
State of the Art Report (published)
Technical Report (Published)
No. of papers under review ............................................................................ 12
8.4 Sponsored Scheme: Very recently a major scheme sponsored by DST, TIFAC on
“Characterisation of Flyash”- was completed as principal Investigator.
8.5 DETAILS OF BOOKS/MONOGRAPHS PUBLISHED
1. A Sridharan, S V Ramaswamy, S Thanikachalan, and T S Ramanatha Ayyar, "Reinforced Soil Structure", Continuing Education Module, Indian Society for Technical Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development, 1989.
2. A Sridharan, "Bearing capacity Improvement", A Chapter in the Book "Engineering with Geosynthetics", Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co. Ltd., 1990.
Sridharan and J Raman, "Damping Characteristics of Soils", Technical
Report No.21, Published by CBIP,
Sridharan, B R Srinivasamurthy and Hans Raj Singh, "Indian Contribution to
Reinforced Soil Structures", Publication No. 208, Published by CBIP,
5. A Sridharan, B R Srinivasamurthy, Bindhu Madhava and Hans Raj Singh, "Reinforced Soil Structures", Technical Report published by Central Board of Irrigation & Power, 1990.
8.6 OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS/ACTIVITIES
* One of the very few Indians who have published large number of papers in National and International Journals & Conferences in the field of Geotechnical Engineering.
* Organising Secretary, Technical Committee, International Conference on SM&FE, 1994.
* Acted as the Chairman/Vice Chairman for a number of Sessions in different national and international Symposia/Conferences.
* Paper Referee, Geotechnique (U.K) .
* Paper Referee, ASTM
* Paper Referee, Clays and
* Paper Referee, Clay Research,
* Paper Referee, Indian Geotechnical Journal.
* Paper Referee, Journal of the Institution of
* Paper Referee, Journal of the Central Board of Irrigation & Power.
* Paper Referee, Journal of Earth Quake
9.0 INDUSTRIAL CONSULTANCY
Actively involved in solving challenging field problems using the results of the author's research and development activities. This has resulted in achieving rational and economical solutions. More than 200 Projects have been handled
Some of the important Projects handled are:
Foundation investigations for various projects for ISRO
Earth dam design - 3 Nos.
Reinforced Retaining walls for National Highway Projects - 2 Nos.
Reinforced Soil Beds for ONGC
Deep Foundations for Aqueducts for Karnataka PWD
Deep excavations and Retaining wall for HAL using Nailing Technique
Remedial measures for corrosion of Stainless steel pipes under marine environment.
Restoration of a heavily tilting
multistoried building at
Stability of canal slopes on BC soils, Irrigation Dept. Karnataka
Settlement problems of canal siphons, Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd.
Soil investigation for BWSSB.
Foundations for Gun mounts for Defence Department.
Foundations for Forge hammer for GTRE.
Foundations for High precision grinding machines for Bharat Fritz Werner.
Compressor foundations for National Aeronautical Laboratory.
Foundations for Diesel Power Generators for Karnataka Electricity Board.
Dynamic Properties of Soils for machine foundation design for various agencies.
Outside the Country
In view of the significant contributions made to Industrial Consultancy Projects for nearly four decades Prof Sridharan was awarded the “ Association of Consulting Civil Engineers Gaurav award 2002 for Significant Contributions to Civil Engineering Consultancy “
10.0. MEMBERSHIP OF TECHNICAL COMMITTEES
1. Member, Major Irrigation Projects and Control Board, Govt. of Karnataka, since 1994.
2. Member, Technical Advisory Committee, Govt. of Karnataka, since 1994.
3. Member , Technical sub committee – Krishna Baghaya Jala Nigam since 1994.
4. Consultant to Board of Consultants, Sardar
Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd., Govt. of
5. Expert Member, Transport Problems, Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corp., 1998 - 2000
10.1 MEMBERSHIP OF OTHER IMPORTANT BODIES
6. Member, Research Council, Central Road Research Institute 1991-1994.
7. Member, Research Council, Central Building Research Institute, 1991 - 1997.
8. Member, Technical Advisory Board - Engineering Sciences, CSIR, 1991-1994.
9. Member, Council of Management, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientfic
10. Member, Finance Committee, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific
Research, since 1994-97.
11. Member, Finance Committee,
12. Member, Senate, Indian Institute of
13. Member, Committee on Engineering Sciences, Shanthi Swarup Bhatnagar Prize - since
14. Member, Board of Directors, National Design & Research Forum, The Institution of
15. Expert Member, as Visitor's nominee,
Selection Committee for faculty members,
Visiting Committee, Dept. of Civil Engg., IIT
17. Member, Accreditation Committee of (i) Roorkee University, (ii) Osmania University (iii) Anna University (iv) M.S.University Boroda by NAAC
11.0 ACADEMIC AND ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
Chairman, Department of Civil Engineering 1984-87. During this period the department got the UGC Special Assistance Programme and COSIST.
Chairman, Division of Mechanical Sciences since May 1987 to April 1994.
The Division of Mechanical Sciences is the largest Division comprising of the Departments of Aerospace Engg., Atmospheric Sciences, Chemical Engg., Civil Engg., Management Studies, Mechanical Engg. and Metallurgy. These Departments have been started more than four decades ago (except the Atmospheric Sciences which is a recent one) and are known for their significant contributions towards research and teaching.
The Chairman of the Division of Mechanical Sciences, has the responsibilities of Curriculum and Faculty Development, Faculty evaluation and all other Administrative responsibilities under the direct supervision of the Director of the Institute.
Since August 1994 he was the Deputy Director of the Indian Institute of Science sharing the responsibilities of the Director. The primary responsibilities are: Faculty and supporting staff recruitment; existing faculty and supporting staff evaluation and promotion; students matters; regular curriculum updating; Establishment of newer areas and centers; Fund rising; sponsored schemes/projects; Staff-management relations; Campus management and general administrations.
He was the Advisor to the Director, Indian Institute of Science from August 1997 to March 2000.
Indian Institute of Science is a premier Institution of the country awarding Masters' degree in engineering, Ph.D and D.Sc degrees in science and engineering. Within the Country, maximum number of Ph.D candidates graduate from IISc. every year. It is ranked very high among the best institutions of its kind in the world.