Prof. P. Anbazhagan, Department of Civil Engineering, IISc Bangalore
Awards and Prizes
- Nominated Indian Geotechnical Society Member in the International Technical Committee TC- 102 for Ground Property Characterization from In-Situ Tests for period of 2022-2025, under International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE).
- Ranked as Top 2% World Scientist in 2021 Database published by Stanford University
- Member of Working Group for Revision of BIS2131 Method For Standard Penetration Test for Soils as part of Soil and Foundation Engineering Sectional Committee, CED 43, Bureau of Indian Standards
- Received Prof. NS Govindrao Medal for Best Ph.D. Thesis of 2020. Title of Thesis "Development of Design Spectra for Shallow and Deep Soil Sites considering Regional Specific Parameters" by Dr. Ketan Bajaj (2014-2019)
- Life Fellow-Indian Geotechnical Society (LF-0591) , 25-06-2020 onwards
- Associate Editor - Earthquake Seismology and Geodesy, Arabian Journal of Geosciences- Publisher: Springer Verlag (From 21st April 2020)
- International Editorial Advisory Board in Cambridge Scholars Publishing in the area of Seismology, Geophysics and Soil Mechanics
- Best Paper Award in Geotechnical Engineering for the paper titled "Damping measurement in resonant column using SSV and FVD" presented at NFiCE (Next Frontiers in Civil Engineering: Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure) on 30/11/2018, IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India.
- Research Advisor Nan Yang Academy of Sciences (Singapore) from 13th Day Oct 2018.
- Invited Expert Member for Theme meeting on "Design Basis Ground Motion for Nuclear Facilities" 24-25 August 2018, by Structural and Seismic Engineering Section, Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC), Government of India
- Editorial Board Membership in Journal of "Research on Engineering Structures & Materials" publisher - MIM Research Group (August 2018 onwards).
- Member of NDMA (National Disaster Management Authority) Core Group for development of detailed outline for Resource Material on Earthquake Engineering
- Newton Bhabha Fellowship to student Mr. Bernal-Sanchez, Juan, Edinburgh Napier University
- Nominated Indian Geotechnical Society Member in the International Technical Committee TC- 102 for Ground Property Characterization from In-Situ Tests for period of 2018-2021, under International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE).
- Indian Geotechnical Society Reviewer of the Year 2016 Award for the outstanding contribution to the Indian Geotechnical Journal.
- Judge in Clean Tech Competition, Centre for Science Teaching and Learning, Rockville Centre New York, Global STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math).
- Judge in 44th KVS Jawaharlal Nehru Science Exhibition on 24-04-2017 to 26-04-2017, at KV IISc Bangalore
- Invited Expert Member for Discussion meeting on "Requirements on ground motion propagation and site amplification studies for NPP site located in alluvial region" 18 January, 2017 - Siting and Structural Engineering Division of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB), Government of India.
- Visiting Professorship at King Saud University (KSU), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (March 2015-March 2016)
- Invited Expert Member for Discussion meeting on "Estimation of Beyond Design Basis Earthquake" 28 February 2015 - Siting and Structural Engineering Division of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB), Government of India.
- ISES Order of Merit 2015 Award for Outstanding Work in Earthquake Science, Young Scientist category, Indian Society of Earthquake Science.
- Coordinator for Municipal Solid Waste Management to achieve Zero landfill waste generation in Civil Engineering, IISc from January 2015
- Invited Expert Member for Theme meeting on “Expert, Interaction to Derive Model and Input Parameters for Probabilistic Seismic Hazards Analysis for NPP Sites and Other Nuclear Facilities” June 18-20, 2014 - Reactor Safety Division (RSD) of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
- Member of Department Curriculum Committee (DCC), Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, from March 11, 2014
- Honorary Member of "RAILMED - A Project for EDA 2020" (www.railmed.org), Italy
- Visiting Professorship at King Saud University (KSU), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Jan 2014-Dec 2014)
- Treasurer, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Indian Section (2013-2015)
- UIC International Links Grant Award 2011/2012- University of Wollongong
- Best paper award for the paper presented in Young Geotechnical Engineering Conference 2011
- The IEI Young Engineers Award 2010-2011 in Civil Engineering Discipline from The Institution of Engineers (India)
- Endeavor Award Common wealth (or Federation) Star
- Specially Trained by Rail Corporation New South Wales, Australia to work in the Rail Industry-Qualified and Received certificates to work on Rail Track.
- Prestigious Endeavor Post-Doctoral Fellowship from Ministry of Education Australia
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister's Award for outstanding performance with Distinction in Bachelor of Engineering degree (cash award)-2002.
- Prestigious GATE Scholarship for Post Graduate studies (2002-2004).
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister's Award for outstanding performance with Distinction in Master of Engineering degree (Cash award) - 2005.
- Research work on microzonation of Bangalore city has been selected for Research highlights presentation in IISc Main Web page from 2006.
- Indian Institute of Science PhD Scholarship from MHRD
Membership in Professional Societies
- Member of International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) 2018-2022.
- Member of Geotechnical Extreme Events Reconnaissance (GEER)
- Member of Seismological Society of America (SSA)
- Member of International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) 2014-2017.
- E-Affiliate member Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- Life Member Indian Society of Earthquake Science (ISES)
- Life member of Transportation Research Group of India
- Editorial board member - International Journal of Civil Engineering (IJCE)
- Editorial board member - Journal of Civil Engineering (JCE), International Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (IASET)
- Associate Editor - International Journal of Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering (IJGEE) (2010-July 2017)
- Editorial Review Board member- International Journal of Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering (IJGEE) (from July 2017)
- Life member of Indian Society for Earthquake Technology LM1470
- Fellow of International Congress of Disaster Management
- Alumni of Endeavour Award Holder
- Member of Joint Working Group on Geotechnical Engineering for Disaster Mitigation and Rehabilitation (JWG-DMR)
- Life member of Indian Geotechnical Society LM2461
- Life member of Indian Society of Geographical Information System
Research Facilities Development:
Advanced Low strain to High Strain Testing Instrument
State of art resonant column/Torsional cum cyclic triaxial testing equipment with internal instrumentation has been setup from the major sponsored project by Department of Atomic Energy. This equipment is first equipment in India capable of testing the soil specimen from low to high strain without disturbance of soil specimen.
Geophysical Testing Facilities & Integrated Testing
New geophysical testing facilities have been created in department of civil engineering for integrated testing. Major instruments include electric resistivity instruments, ground penetrating radar (GPR) and Multichannel Analysis Surface Wave (MASW) capable of penetrating up to 500 m depth.
Hammer Energy Measuring Apparatus
In order to perform research on measurement of the hammer energy below anvil and above split sampler while Standard Penetration Testing (SPT) and to prepare standard/guideline, a new SPT -Hammer Energy Measuring Apparatus (HEMA) has been designed and prototype model was built jointly with M/s. Syscon Instruments Private Limited, Bangalore India. SPT HEMA consists of two instrumented rods (each with strain gauge transducer and acceleration sensor), hardware and software for data acquisition, data analysis, and display with control system.
Conference and Training Organized
|Coordinator||Winter IISc National Training for Entry to Research* (WINTER 2008)||55|
|Joint Organizing Secretary||Indian Geotechnical Conference -2008||450|
|Joint Organizing Secretary||6th Asian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference-2008||75|
|Organizing member||Conference on Infrastructure, Sustainable Transportation and Urban Planning (CISTUP@CiSTUP 2010)||400|
|Coordinator||Summer Internship Program-2011||650|
|Coordinator||Summer Internship Program-2012||1137|
|Treasurer||International Conference on Sustainable Civil Infrastructure (ICSCI-2014) October 17-18, 2014||300|
|Organizing member||Geo- Innovations 30-31st October 2014||100|
|Organizing and Technical Committee member||Second National Dam Safety Conference, 12 - 13 January 2016 (CWC, New Delhi)||550|
|Joint Organizing Secretary||International Conference on Soil and Environment (22-23 July 2016)||250|
|Organizing Secretary||5th International Conference on Forensic Geotechnical Engineering (8-10 December 2016)||200|
|Organizing Secretary||Indian Geotechnical Conference 2018 (13-15 December 2018)||700|
|Organizing Secretary||ISSMGE TC-102 Workshop on Ground Property Characterization from In-Situ Tests 26 & 27th April, 2019||150|
|Technical Committee member||Eighth Indian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference 2021 (8IYGEC 2021) during October 21-23, 2021,||150|
|Technical Committee member||Indian Geotechnical Conference 2021 (16-18 December 2021)||600|
|Technical Advisory Committee||International Conference on SUSTAINABLE PRACTICES AND ADVANCEMENTS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING -2022 (SPACE 22), 11 and 12 Mar 2022 Hybrid Mode||400|